If there is any advantage to the tough economy we have been experiencing over the past few years, it is that America’s entrepreneurial spirit has gotten a shot in the tushy. Many who have lost their jobs, or anticipate losing them, are taking the opportunity to start their own businesses. And with the comfort and convenience of working from home, not to mention the low overhead, many are choosing to base their operations from the same place they eat and sleep. The home-based business is here to stay.
As one of said home-based entrepreneurs, I will be the first to acknowledge that for any new business, cash flow is a concern, and rightly slow. You have to operate within your means. With this mind, there are some expenses (things like licenses and insurance) that are simply necessary to protect your assets, and those of your family, especially if you are a sole proprietor.
One area that is often overlooked by small business owners is legal protection. It is an area where we typically roll the dice and hope nothing happens, because we know we can’t afford the average $300 per hour cost of consulting an attorney.
But it does not have to be this way. There IS a way to have access to legal counsel, contract review and other legal services without breaking the bank. The peace of mind that comes with knowing that you can pick up the phone at any time and call your attorney for advice is turbo-boosted by knowing that you don’t have to check you bank balance first. In fact, you only pay a small monthly fee. That’s it.
What I am referring to is a comprehensive legal services plan specifically designed for the home-based business that covers both your business AND your family.
Curious? Here is what the Expanded Family Life Events Legal Plan plus Home-Based Business Rider includes:
For Your Business
- Phone consultations with your attorney on business matters
- Letters written by your attorney on behalf of your business if the need arises
- Debt collection letters on your behalf to help collect delinquent debts
- Contract review so you can know exactly what you sign before you sign it
- Trial defense services if your business is named in a civil suit (25% discount)
- IRS audit legal services to include Schedule C
- Free membership in GoSmallBiz – a powerful online resource developed by NFL Hall of Famer and Entrepreneur Fran Tarkenton specifically to empower micro business. GSB membership includes access to an online library of articles, Answers from the Masters, a monthly newsletter, access to personally consult with any of a national network of business consultants in a variety of specialties, including tax and accounting, human resources, marketing, insurance, technology, investment and more. Over 50,000 small businesses are already enjoying and utilizing their GSB membership. (View video by Fran Tarkenton)
For Your Family
Preventive Legal Services
- Phone consultations on an unlimited number of topics
- Letters or phone calls made on your behalf as needed
- Contract/document review
- Preparation of your will, living will and health care power of attorney (and that of your spouse)
Motor Vehicle Legal Services
- Assistance with moving traffic violations
- Defense if you or a covered family member are charged with manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, negligent homicide or vehicular homicide
- Assistance with other vehicle-related issues such as damage recovery, driver’s license issues and personal legal injury assistance
Trial Defense Services
- Pre-trial assistance and court representation if you or a covered family member are named in a civil or work-related criminal lawsuit
IRS Audit Legal Services
- Consultation advice & assistance, audit representation negotiations and trial appearance if you are audited by the IRS
- 25% member discount for any legal services not covered by another part of the plan
24-Hour Emergency Access
- Toll-free emergency access to an attorney 24/7/365 if you or a covered family member are arrested, detained or questioned by law enforcement, are involved in a serious accident or if the authorities are trying to remove your children from your home
As you can see, the coverage is extensive. You might expect to pay out the nose for such protection, but it is actually available for less than the cost of a caramel macchiato per day – in fact, about half that, or less.
The plan is administered by Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc., a NYSE company that pioneered pre-paid legal service plans in the United States nearly 40 years ago. Members have access to the country’s largest network of provider attorneys whose sole mission is to provide first-rate legal care to PPL members.
Is your small business operated out of some place other than your home? No worries. Small business plans are available for you, too, even specialty plans for realtors, teachers, law enforcement officers and foster parents.
For more information, email me at email@example.com or visit my website. Your home-based business is worth protecting.